Tuesday, May 11, 2010

And in the Beggining...

Well it arrived. D-Day if you will. ("D" standing for determination of course...)

Time to get the show on the road...do it. Kick this thing. Rock n roll.

And I had my first bit of good news. I qualified for a clinical trial to see if combining certain time tested drugs and combos thereof, could be more effective and contribute to a greater longevity and make the radiation more effective if used BEFORE surgery. And my friends I lucked out...instead of having to get a "port" (an IV they implant under your skin that you can hook a medicine bag to) and having chemo delivered via the port 24/7 5 days a week I was randomized (picked by random by a computer) into the PILL group.

That's right ladies and gentleman. My chemo is a pill..well 3 of them (not horse pills thank goodness) that I take twice a day...no needles..nothing A Pill.
How wonderful is science really?!? Pretty damn wonderful from my point of view at the moment. This means I also only have to go to the Dr. once a week. And can keep on a pretty regular schedule with the addition of 10 minutes of radiation a day.

So how did it go? GREAT!
I realize the effects may be cumulative and all, but Day 1? Piece O' Cake. (and please remind me of my carefree attitude when we arrive at day 23...mmm K?) But seriously with the exception of a little nasal "burny" feeling I feel just great. A tiny touch tired...but I did have to go to the grocery store and that always wears me out...so so far so GOOD!

Also I found out that the radiation I'm getting is State of the art...it actually 3-D images the tumor and lymph nodes and only treats that tissue. It's only been around for a year and I'm lucky to get to do that. 10 minutes and I am out of there...

The only bummer was waiting at the Dr's after I got there at 10 am...felling good, feeling positive and then waiting 3 hours!!!!! Fighting nervousnes is a little hard on the body and soul And I'll tell you people with cancer don't hold anything back...folks were pissed and rightfully so, it wasn't pretty.

But I made it through...and now am officially on day two. And still feeling pretty good. A touch tired perhaps but it's raining outside....who isn't longing for a nap right now...right?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you're on the pill....no wait - that just doesn't sound right! You know what I mean.

    And glad to hear so far you are tolerating it well. Tim and I hope to see you at Taste on Saturday. Find the guy in the wheelchair and I'll likely be next to him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Regina! That made me laugh...funny how "The pill" and "rehab" totally change meanings as you get older huh? I will look for you guys!! :-)

    ReplyDelete