Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Little Break From The Norm...

After being out of my mind stressed for the past couple of weeks, I took advantage of Lovely Crash playing Columbus this past Saturday to make a mini-vacation of it. Thanks to Kevin we hightailed it up to Columbus Thursday and got to spend a few days with the worries at bay. My mission? Eat every freaking thing that I won't be allowed to eat during chemo (Raw fish, raw meat and moldy cheeses). Yeah, I know it doesn't sound good when you put it that way, but trust me I reached my goal and it was delicious!!!

Carpaccio, Spicy spaghetti Carbonara,Goat Cheese Ravioli with a braised cabbage and pancetta sauce and melted perocirno cheese with apples and truffle honey at Marcella's, Spicy Shrimp and grits, asparagus with a cheese, toasted garlic poached egg sauce (might be my favorite dish ever!!), Carpaccio (again), a wonderful bread salad with cucumbers, feta and tomatoes with a balsamic dressing and cream puffs with chocolate mousse and an ice cream that gave new meaning to the word vanilla, at The Burgundy Room. Chorizo meatballs, Serrano ham wrapped scallops and avocado salad at Arreza, a veritable sushi fest at Haiku (Anne and Kevin staged an intervention to my roll ordering afterwards) and we finished the weekend up at La Chatelaine with my favorite sandwich on the planet...proscuitto and brie on fresh crunchy french bread and a melt-in-your mouth Caesar Salad...YUM!!!!!!!!!! We didn't make it to Surly Girl Salon or Dirty Frank's hot dogs...but next time! We only had once unfortunate food incident. After the gig we went to Buckeye Donuts for falafel and sad to say it was AWFUL...it wasn't cooked and falafal paste just doesn't cut it my friends...on the plus side we did find out what Prince ordered when he stopped there after a gig in Columbus many cherry moons ago. A long john and a coffee and in true Prince fashion ate half the meal, had one of his bodyguards call the manager over and whispered in his ear "You have good coffee".

Before the band and everyone came up Kevin and I got out and about and I was happy when he and I stopped into Skully's and it just so happened to be 80's night....so we danced the night away and that made me supremely happy...

The whole weekend was great and not just because of the food...the gig went great and I got to play with Happy Chichester a long time fellow musician and a personal idol of mine...one person in music who is not only crazy talented with both guitar and funk organ skills, but he consistently has a great attitude and is nice and genuine in a profession where that is not always the case. When you watch him perform he is so obviously loving what he is doing you can't help but feel very good and very lucky you are getting to watch the performance, and Saturday night was no exception. It lifted my spirits to a great level.

And speaking of lifting spirits...my friends Elishia, Mary, Beth and Sally made the drive from Cincinnati, and my friend Anne drove down from Cleveland so I was surrounded by some of the people I love best in the world...and they all really liked each other, not surprising because my friends are individually all super awesome without exception.

Kevin and I got some snuggle time, and that made me happy too. It was nice to have a beautiful shining moment for that, not really knowing what lies ahead...
Just being around him makes me happy no matter what we are doing.
I know that this comes as no surprise to the folks who know him but he has been awesome to me through this whole thing. Unwaveringly supportive. I tell him as often as possible that he is the best boyfriend on the planet and it's true.

I am a lucky woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment