Monday, May 3, 2010

"Just the facts Ma'am"

Physical 4/1/10 - Tested positive for Fecal occult blood in stool

Colonoscopy 4/14/10 - Found two benign polyps and a "mass"

Cancer diagnoses 4/20/10 - Adenocarcinoma in the rectal area

First Oncologist Meeting - 4/26/20 - Treatment will be 5 weeks of radiation and chemo, one month off, surgery, two months off, 6 months of chemo. I find out I qualify for a clinical trial my Oncologist recommends that I join it... Although he warns me that Surgeons do not usually support Clinical trials. He states he "does not know why".

First Radiology Oncologist Meeting - Find out I will have to have 5 weeks of radiation for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. I also need to have sharpie drawings of "X's and O's (i.e. bulls-eyes) covered with clear plastic tape on my butt, back and hips for that entire time. I also find out that even if the cancer shrinks to nothing they will still take out the same area of where the cancer is now. My radiology Oncologist thinks there is a 50% chance I could have to have a colostomy. He also says we get one shot at this and one only because you can't go back and radiate the area a second time. This will also kill any eggs I have left in my ovaries and I will now be instantly infertile and done with menopause.

First Surgeon Meeting - I have an ultra sound. I am considered a T3N1M0 - Stage IIIB. It means the tumor has spread or about to spread through my rectal wall and one lymph node appears to be affected. It has not metastasized to anywhere else in my body. My surgeon says that if she had to operate today even without chemo/radiation there is a 90-95% chance I will NOT have to have a colostomy. However I will have to have a temporary colostomy until I finish the second round of chemo. She also states she is entirely supportive of me being in the clinical trial. She tells me I will need to have 5 weeks chemo/radiation, TWO months off, surgery, two months off and 4-6 weeks of chemo.

The prognosis for Stage IIIB rectal cancer is anywhere from 46-88%.
This means that in 5 years that out of 100 people who get rectal cancer 46-88 of them will still be alive.

I intend to be one of those. Like I said...Just the facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment