Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Pain in the Ass...

Anyone who knows me knows I am a person who gets things done...AKA, "a pain in the ass"...I will persevere and bug people and wrestle like a dog with a bone to make things happen.

I do my research and find the best, quickest way to make thing happen.
My Dr's are going to hate me.

But I'm telling you when you are dealing with the medical realm you have to be your own best advocate. Educate yourself. Ask questions (even if you ask the same one more than once of a different person, even if the Dr's aren't too crazy about people questioning them. But hey it's MY body.

Had I not pushed my Dr. I would have not got my diagnoses or follow up treatment as quickly as I did.

Because science is not exact and Dr's and those in the health care professions are people not super heroes(...although I suspect frequently they are miracle workers) YOU have to understand what you are going through, the options involved and also your own heart and mind (intuition is big here) to make sense and keep people active in your health care.

I'll admit I don't have a lot of trust in the system. My grandfather developed a small bedsore in a nursing home and had to have his leg amputated. the last time I had surgery on my right hand it was preceded by someone coming in to mark my hand with a big X made by a sharpie...so they quote "wouldn't operate on the wrong hand". And I could give you a dozen more stories along this line.
This does not instill confidence.

But there's a line....where confidence is shaky...faith has got to walk in.

So I will continue to be a pain in the ass. But I know there's a point where it's time to let faith come in and take over for a minute.

I may not be all that confident in the system, but I have faith I will live.

No comments:

Post a Comment